As we venture out into the world more, it is important that we clean and disinfect critical areas of our homes to protect against COVID-19. High-traffic areas need to be given special attention to protect against the spread of the virus in your home. We’ve created a cleaning checklist for you.
Things to Clean Throughout Your Home
- Light switches
- Surfaces and countertops
- Any electronics, such as a laptop or phone
Entryway of Your Home
- Wipe down your front door
- Shake out your doormat and wash it weekly, if possible
- Wipe down light fixtures and railings
- Leave your shoes outdoors
- Disinfect your doorknob several times a day
- Clean counters, island, and other surfaces daily – especially anywhere your family eats
- Wipe down the exterior of your refrigerator and dishwasher daily
- Scrub your sink
- Regularly clean your utensil drawer
- Avoid placing bags – such as grocery bags or handbags – on surfaces. In fact, leave bags outdoors, if possible. If you must bring a bag indoors, thoroughly wipe it down with a disinfectant.
- Wipe down remote controls and anything else that is frequently touched or held
- Vacuum rugs
- Wash pillow covers and blankets
- Clean TV trays before and after you use them
Dining Room, Breakfast Bar
- Clean your tabletop and breakfast bar
- Wipe down chair backs, armrests, and chair seats
- Wash chair cushions, placemats, and napkins
- Clean and disinfect the toilet, bathtub, showerhead, light switches, doorknobs, countertops, and sink(s)
- Wash shower curtain and bathmats
- Wash all bedding and pillowcases
- Vacuum rugs, carpet, the mattress, under the bed, etc.
- Wipe down bedside tables
Finally, this kind of cleaning can reduce anxiety and improve your mental health during these uncertain times. Doing something to actively protect yourself and your family can be encouraging and empowering.