Warnings That a Home Has a Broken AC
Unexplained noises and the temperature dropping in certain rooms and not others may be purported signs of supernatural entities. Still, most of the time, the culprit is a problem with the air conditioning system. Like any other appliance, a heating and cooling system will not last forever and eventually needs to be replaced or repaired. It usually doesn’t happen all at once, either. There are likely to be indicators that something is wrong. This article will discuss common signs that an air conditioner needs repair.
Banging, Rattling, and Whining Sounds
Though machines make various humming and whirring sounds in their normal day-to-day functioning, loud or unusual sounds are more likely an indicator of a broken air conditioner. Banging, screeching, rattling, and clicking sounds coming from the system should be checked out by an HVAC professional. Below are some examples of sounds that can occur and what they might indicate:
- Banging: This sound likely means something has come loose within the compressor and is now hitting the compressor casing.
- Rattling: This can mean debris has become lodged in the outdoor unit or can indicate a serious electrical issue with the AC.
- Squealing: Screeching, squealing, or whining all tend to point to a problem with the fan belt. There can also be compressor issues that cause this type of sound.
- Clicking: This may indicate a need to replace the thermostat.
- Hissing: If an AC is hissing, there is likely to be damage to the air ducts. A torn duct can lead to poor performance.
A trained HVAC technician should be called to investigate these and any other unusual sounds that come from a home’s AC unit.
A boat or sailing ship is driven by one of the smallest parts of the ship: the rudder. This is a good analogy for what a thermostat is to a heating and cooling system. If it malfunctions, the entire system can go awry. Here are a few indicators that a thermostat is off:
- Wildly varying temperatures during the day
- AC is constantly cycling on and off
- House just isn’t cooling
- Higher energy costs
Unfortunately, some of these signs could also mean other problems with the system, so having a professional check out the home’s air conditioning system is vital.
Varying Temperatures Throughout the House
When some rooms cool down quickly while others tend never to reach the appropriate temperature, that is an example of uneven cooling. Though sun, insulation, and window placement can all affect the temperature in a room, this uneven cooling is not a normal problem to have with a whole home HVAC system.
It can be a sign of several different issues with an air conditioning system. These problems can stem from dirty air filters, air duct damage, and blocked vents, but they should be assessed by a professional to pinpoint the problem accurately.
About Stuart Pro Heating & Air
Stuart Pro Heating & Air has over two decades of experience serving Buford, GA, and the surrounding areas. They offer upfront pricing, on-time arrivals, and a 100% satisfaction guarantee. Call them today for air conditioning repair and maintenance in Buford, GA.