Spring is finally here! It’s time to open windows, air out our homes, and maybe even do a little spring cleaning. It’s also a great time to give your HVAC system a break and improve your heating and cooling system’s performance and efficiency. With very little time and effort, you can simultaneously save money and enjoy cool temperatures. How? By following our heating and cooling tips for spring.
Spring Clean Your AC
It’s quick and easy! Just vacuum the coils to remove accumulated dust and change your air filters. Doing these two small things improves efficiency and increases the overall life of your HVAC system.
Buy a Year’s Worth of Air Filters
Air filters should be changed every month, but people often go for months without doing so because it’s a pain to go to the store to purchase a filter. This problem is easily solved by buying a year’s worth of filters. Then, when the first of the month rolls around, you have an entire stash to pull from.
Schedule a Maintenance
Mild spring weather means that this time of year is ideal for an HVAC tune-up. During maintenance, our pros will fix issues and get your system in peak condition. Then when the temperatures start to rise, your AC can easily handle the scorching heat.
Benefits of a Preventative Maintenance Include:
- Lower energy bills
- Improved performance and energy efficiency
- Fewer repairs
- Improved air quality
Replace Batteries in Alarms
It’s a good idea to replace batteries in carbon monoxide detectors and smoke alarms twice a year: spring and fall. If your HVAC system begins to function in an unsafe manner, you want to be sure that the alarm is triggered.
Reprogram Your Thermostat
Do you have a programmable thermostat? If so, resetting your schedule could save you a lot of money. Find a comfortable temperature your family agrees on and set it for when the family is home. When everyone is away all day at work and school, program your thermostat to a warmer temperature.
Spring Energy Savings
Give your HVAC system a break and stay cool at the same time!
- • Cooler temperatures at night mean that you can turn off your air conditioner, open windows, and let in the fresh air.
- • Ceiling fans help air to circulate and keep a room from feeling stagnant. Make sure that your fans are set to spin counter-clockwise during warmer months.
- • Cook outside on the grill! Your family will love it, and you won’t have to heat up the kitchen and then cool it down again with the air conditioner.
- • Ease the strain on your air conditioner by closing the curtains or blinds against the glare of the sun. Pay special attention to empty rooms, like a guest room, and be sure that curtains are closed in those areas.
- • Seal any air leaks in your home. Keep cool air in and hot air out!
- • Use exhaust fans in bathrooms and kitchens to pull heat out of the home when you’re showering and cooking.
Make these minor adjustments in your home to keep it cool and comfortable – and save money at the same time! And don’t forget to call us to schedule your spring preventative maintenance appointment.